03 October 2010

Mirwais Raham

Mirwais owns several Afghan rug and carpet stores in Kabul and on coalition bases. I asked him if he had Persian rugs and he said "I only sell rugs that help my people--Afghans. Why would I want to help the Iranians?"

Over the past two months, Mirwais has become my friend. I go over to his shop for a cup of "chai" or tea. If you have three cups of tea--you are family. We called Ermie the other day about a Bokhara carpet and Mirwais told her that I was his "brother" and that he would sell us the carpet for a very fair price. It was heartwarming to have Mirwais call me his brother. Anyway, I had been asking Mirwais to bring some Afghan food for us. He said he couldn't do it Saturday (Shanbe), but he would do it Sunday (Yak Shanbe).

I didn't think that he would remember, but when I went to his shop on base at 1215 on Yak Shanbe--everyone in the shop was eating kebab, rice, nan, chicken, mantu, and vegetables. Several attorneys in the office wanted nan and pomegranates. Mirwais even remembered to bring the extra bread and pomegranates. I offered to pay Mirwais for the food but he refused. Afghan hospitality!

The food was delicious. Mirwais' wife had cooked it for us. She said that restaraunt food wasn't as good, so she would do it. She is nine months pregnant and due to deliver any day.


--------------------------
Sent using BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment