16 August 2010

Roses in Kabul

When I arrived at Camp Eggers in Kabul, they dumped five of us on the side of the road mid-way down outside one of the Camp walls. We had about 1,000 pounds of gear and numerous weapons. We ferried them in relays to the gate and then inside the other gate. Tiring of this, I emailed my office for some help. Some folks from other offices had brought down carts with bicycle wheels, dollys, etc. My legal folks came en masse (six people) and each grabbed a bag. We had to schlep the stuff by hand half a mile in to the Camp (no vehicles).

Camp Eggers is a former residential area in Kabul. Thus, all our offices, workplaces, and lodging are in the homes and yards of residences. We rent the space from the displaced owners. We have a lot of U.S. and coalition forces crammed into a few blocks of downtown Kabul.

The photo above is the entrance to my temporary lodging. I live in a basement room with eight other transient folks waiting for a permanent room. We shower outside in trailers near where the Mongolian soldiers do guard mount before their shift changes. The thing I noticed the first morning heading out to the shower was the strong, rose fragrance permeating the air. It was a beautiful morning and I hope, a harbinger of the next six months.

s--------------------------
Sent using BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment