07 September 2010

Camp Eggers at Night

I moved into my permanent connex three nights ago. I just noticed this sign for Camp Eggers that brightens the evening just across the road from the stairway to my floor. I walked around Camp two nights ago at 2300 and it was pleasant without the hustle and bustle. I could hear Afghan music wafting in from loudspeakers on two sides of the Camp. It is Ramadan and I surmise that they celebrating breaking their daily fast. Ramadan ends Thursday, 9 Sep and Eid begins through 11 Sep. Thus, no laundry, no bazaar, et al. because of the holiday. Sep 9th is also a holiday memorializing Afghan national hero Ahmad Shah Massoud who was assassinated just before 9-11 in 2001.

Since I have moved into my room, I have more robust internet capability and I will try to keep the blog updated more frequently. I have walked over to the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) three times in the past week. Some street kids try to hustle dollars and pens near ISAF. I have bought pens and note pads to hand out, but one of the little buggers took my $9 write anywhere pen out of my sleeve holder. I noticed right away and one of the older kids made him give it back. On the last trip, I gave out hard candy which seemed to be a big hit.

We don't get days off (even holidays), thus the time is blending together. What day is it? I look forward the Friday bazaar to break the routine, but this week we have to do without because of Eid. Whew! Two weeks without an interlude.

Anyway, khuda hafez.


--------------------------
Sent using BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment